17 May 2010

Eiko & Koma

Occasionally an opportunity arises that reinvigorates my passion for photography.  Last week I was fortunate to be invited to the home of Eiko & Koma to work with them on some process photos.  For the most part I work with digital cameras these days, but decided to pull out my Hasselblad and shoot some film in addition for fun.  I miss the darkroom immensely and am hoping to be able to study some alternative processes in the fall.  I also miss the soft focus and muted colors of polaroid and those happy accidents that occur when the colors tint strangely.  Must be the nostalgia taking hold of me. 

Eiko & Koma are currently touring for their Retrospective Project and will be performing at Danspace Project in NYC May 27-29.  Check out their website www.eikoandkoma.org for more information on them and their works.

Here's an excerpt I pulled from their site about their project Raven which is the centerpiece for the Retrospective Performances:

"The earth is precious in part because it can be unyielding. The landscape does not squander its riches on us; we have to negotiate our survival. Thinking this way, and remembering the pungent street smells from their childhood in post-war Japan, Eiko & Koma add this dimension by scorching the set. The odor of burnt material becomes an aspect of the work and reminds us that it is not only we humans who are hungry; the animals and spirits and the earth itself are hungry for nourishment and for intimacy."